Monday, May 14, 2007

Blondie is Back.

Hello everybody! I'm back. There is only 7 days of school (i'm counting down) and 13 days until Memorial Weekend (I'm counting that too!) School went good, i got straight A's last quarter. And i got 3rd place in the Homer News Writing Contest. And we had A.W.A.'s and the maximum score you could get was 60, and i got a 58! I don't have the piece i submitted to the Writing contest but i do have the one for the A.W.A. Here it is:
One Christmas, my grandpa Stan decided that each of his four children’s families should be assigned an Alaskan animal totem to represent the fishing style of each man of the family. My family is the Bear Clan, my Uncle Heath’s family is the Moose Clan, my Uncle Eric’s family is the Buffalo Clan and my Uncle John’s family is the Wolf Clan. Along with our clan name, we got a hat with a bear on it for my dad and a bear fur vest for my mom.
Every Memorial Day weekend, we all get together and my grandpa arranges contests for us all to participate in. In these contests, creative play (cheating) is often encouraged by my grandpa for entertainment value. My favorite year was when we did a scavenger hunt. It took place all over Anchor Point. Each clan got their first clue from my grandparents, and then we all set off in different directions to find our next clue.
My family was doing great. We found every clue and we were in the lead. Then, we got one clue that said the next clue was in the woods behind our private campground. We went in the woods and looked and looked but nobody saw any sign of the next clue. Finally, my mom said we’re in the wrong spot, so we headed back to the truck. On our way back, I saw a small, wooden building that was nearly overgrown by the forest just off the trail. Nobody else saw it because it was sort of hidden. I saw it because I was short enough to see under the logs that hid it. I pointed the building out to my mom and we picked our way through fallen logs and Devil’s Club towards it. It was a small, worn down outhouse that was probably built before I was born. My mom and I went into the outhouse and there was the white slip of paper with our next clue.
We quickly read through the clue then went to our next destination. Two clues later, our last clue said go to the gravel pit (which is what our campground is called) and you will win a bit. We sped to the campground and climbed out of the truck, not even bothering to shut the doors. The only other people there were my grandparents. We had won! Almost immediately after we sat down, my uncle Eric and his family raced in, tires screeching, followed by my uncle Heath, and my uncle John. After everybody sat down and cooled off (tempers and just from the heat of the day), my grandpa announced that the Bear Clan had won and now we would get a bit. That was our prize; it was literally a drill bit. My grandparents also bought everybody ice cream bars and we got first pick.
I think that was probably one of my most fun experiences in Alaska. I love being with my family and I can’t wait until next Memorial Day weekend to see what my grandpa will come up with next!



So yea.. i hope you liked it! =]

I am beyond excited for Memorial and I can't wait to see everybody!!!! =D

<3>

Comments on "Blondie is Back."

 

Blogger Heidi said ... (Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:27:00 AM) : 

Oh I can't wait...just a few more days. My girls will not be bringing friends, but you can look forward to us.
Thanks for the story, now you have my wheels turning on what to do this year.

 

Blogger Stan Harrington said ... (Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:48:00 PM) : 

Very good Sierra, I rally enjoyed your writing. Most of all, I am glad that it provided you a memory that will perhaps list a lifetimne, a story that you will someday pass down to your children.
Love You, Grand Pa

 

post a comment